Sunday, September 02, 2007

The Internal Struggles of Mother Teresa

The story of Mother Teresa is fascinating to me - probably the most interesting story from the past week. I am someone who is spiritual but not particularly religious. For as long as I can remember I have been cautious and often suspicious about preachers and those who attempt to proselytize, claiming to know what is best for me. I believe that you don't need preachers or organized religion in order to serve God and to allow him to work through you.

One religious figure who I DID have respect for was Mother Teresa. She showed her faith and committment through her works. Now it has come to light that she often questioned her Faith.... for many years. Yet at the same time, she never allowed this to diminish her committment to helping the poor. It reminded me of the story of Job, although Mother Teresa's situation was not as extreme. But symbolically the two stories are similar.

Some say that this revelation provides more of a reason to make her a Saint, while others may say that the revelation is being used by the Catholic Church as propaganda to attract new parishoners at a time when the Church is in trouble and when its image in particular has taken a beating over the last few years. There is probably some truth to both arguments; I don't know the answer.

But I think it highlights the human spirit at its best. I suspect that she was driven by her sincere desire to help the poor at least as much as she was driven by God and the Catholic Church. After all, in the beginning of her mission, the Church was not a big supporter of her efforts.

Hear a great discussion about the Life and Internal struggles of Mother Teresa. Hear Interview with Father Brian Kolodiejchuk- Author of the new book of letters "Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light".

And was it right for the Nuns to keep her writings when she gave instructions to destroy them?

2 comments:

rikyrah said...

I believe they should have kept them, because she was such a pivotal modern Catholic figure. SHowing her humanity makes her more compelling.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I had a big argument with my roommate over whether or not she should still retain her sainthood. I 'm Catholic, but I still consider curiosity and questioning part of the human condition. No one is perfect, I don't think any of us can judge her for having doubts, because they only allowed her faith to grow strong and her efforts to shine more brightly.